Friday, March 11, 2011

Day Five: Feeling GREAT! Halfway there!

Today was wonderful; I had a boundless supply of energy, I was never hungry (even though I had drank only a cup of the solution the entire day due to busyness; I did drink the intended amount later), I was cheery and upbeat, and content in my body. My stomach has very obviously shrunk as chugging a canteen of water is impossible to finish in one sitting-there is just no room! My waste is now completely liquid (and has been since yesterday) and I am adding more and more cayenne pepper to my drinks (it does take some time to build up to the taste). On this cleanse one does have to brush their teeth very thoroughly more than twice a day as I do feel a faster build up from the solution.

I gave a tour of my school very successfully which shows my memory, my multitasking (walking backwards while talking facts), and my strategizing (condensing an hour and a half-long tour into 45 mins and finishing on time) has been unaffected. After the tour I was so excited and energized I called up my friend and went running around in the beautiful sun, throwing the football. I can say I did become slightly lazy in my throwing and catching of the football after awhile. It all depends on how motivated I am to keep my mind focused and my effort at a full level.Then I successfully learned "Hopelessly Devoted to You" from my cleanse buddy on the guitar in an, might I say, impressive amount of time.

I heard back today that I will most likely not make it into the documentary class as it is full and meant for journalism majors with much video storytelling experience. I will fight it but it doesn't look good. I will still do my best to make this documentary next term, however, it will take much more time, effort, and string-pulling than it would have in this class. Please keep your fingers crossed!

I have decided to do the senna tea only if I will be active for the following hour (just more than sleeping) and to steep it for only 30 seconds (or until there is enough color and taste). This way I will be more able to work out the cramps via movement and activity rather than laying still to sleep. I feel absolutely normal on day five of zero food, much to my amazement. It is absolutely incredible how easy this has been and how excited I am to try new vegan recipes. People close to me comment on how my new eating lifestyle is going to "suck" and ask questions like, "what will you even be able to eat?!". My plan is to cut out meat, dairy, gluten, peanuts, GMOs, MSG, salt, and packaged or processed foods.

Within the no GMOs (genetically modified organisms) goes the four largest crops grown and contaminated; rice, corn, soy, and wheat. Yes this means no tofu =(. I will make exceptions if the company promises the food has not been contaminated. I have found some very promising non-GMO corn tortillas... I will allow myself to eat seafood and eggs (organic and cage-free) because I am crazy in love with these things. I will eat wild and brown rice (sparingly since they are tough to break down) as these are gluten-free and not of the GMO kind (or less likely to be).

Gluten forms into glue (hence the name) in our gastrointestinal tract and sticks to the villi in our intestines. This makes nutrients unable to be absorbed into our bloodstreams. Our body's immune system attacks this glue and in the process damages the lining of our intestines by ripping off the villi. This happens to us all but more dangerously to people with Celiac disease. Everyone can benefit from a gluten-free diet and most people show weight loss and decreased bloating when they do. Gluten is in anything with wheat, rye, barley, and semolina and is added as a thickening agent in things like ice cream and ketchup. Yes, this means gluten is in beer and ale as well but hey, wine, vodka, and gin are still allowed whohoo!! I am excited to experiment with these gluten-free flours; oat, buckwheat, flax seed, garbanzo, potato, almond, mesquite, and coconut to create better options of breads, cookies, pizza doughs and the like. Grains which are gluten-free include (along with the ones listed in the flours) wild rice, amaranth, quinoa, millet, and sorghum as long as the label says either "gluten-free" or does not say "may contain traces of wheat" etc. Anthony gave me the greatest tip to crush flax seeds and mix with water for a wonderful pizza dough! Be very careful if you are also going gluten-free that the company does not replace the gluten with three of the four no-nos (soy, corn, or rice) because GMOs are just as bad or worse in effects as gluten.

SALT ATTRACTS CANCER AND TUMORS!! Salt=death and that is exactly how it should be seen. I explained in a previous post about the terrors of salt but just to reiterate; salt is bad, very, very bad.

Peanuts unfortunately cannot be digested by the body but other nuts can. Peanuts are the fattiest nuts anyway, who needs 'em? Almond butter is a better option than peanut butter and is oh, so tasty.

1 comment: